Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"My Father's Eyes" - Eric Clapton

To MY Dad,

I freaking love you.

I love that it's YOUR birthday today . . . because it makes me think on all the awesome events, times & memories we've shared together.

Most of all, I am grateful.

I'm grateful . . . . .

  • That you expected a lot of me.
  • That we'd meet - just you and I - in that horrible room with the shag carpet to go over how I was doing [school, life, sports, etc]
  • For the example you are to Peanut.
  • For the example you are to us solely by your actions.
  • That you taught me about money at an early age.  "Emily, you either make interest or pay it."
  • That I still want to talk to you before a big purchase.
  • That you taught me so many sports.
  • That you expected just as much from me during sports as my brother.
  • That we took walks together at night.
  • That you call me randomly just to see how I am.

  • That you call me "sweetie".
  • That you hug me every time I see you.
  • That you got to see me be born.  
  • That you taught me how a man should treat a woman by the way to treated / treat Mom.
  • That you are slow to anger. [but seriously, what went wrong here with me?! ;) ]
  • That you danced for my friends when I begged you to.
  • That you didn't hate me when I decided I was "done" with volleyball at just the wrong time.
  • That you made me work hard on Saturday's.  chores. chores. chores.
  • For the love you show me and my family.
  • For the prayers, I'm sure, you sent up daily on my behalf.
  • For being at all my volleyball games.  Yelling your heart out.
  • For being at my races.  In "run emz" attire.
  • That you don't get mad when I poke fun at your sweet sunglasses. ;)

  • For being there 23.25 hours of my 24 hour run.

  • For always telling me, "Em, don't be so critical" when my attitude was crap.
  • For being athletic.
  • For always putting your family first.  ALWAYS.

  • For teaching me how to NOT throw like a girl.
  • For teaching me how to drive.
  • For buying that Nissan 300Z. 
  • For the way you eat a cob of corn.  just amazing.
  • For always saying "good earth".
  • For always loving my cooking.
But mostly . . .

For being twinkle toes, Gordy, Papa & MY Dad.
I. freaking. love. you.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice post! Your Dad sounds like one heck of a guy!

Christi said...

That is a great way to honor your dad. I wish him a very happy birthday!

Matty O said...

Holy crap. I cannot think this many things about my dad haha.

My favorite... Teaching you to NOT throw like a girl. That makes TWO people I know that do NOT throw like a girl haha!

adena said...

Love this post. I think every dad should see this and see what it 'should' be.

racing dawn said...

Wow. He needs to write a book. Seriously. I'm gonna flag this post to refer back to for reminders of things to do with my own kiddos. And look how awesome you turned out. Amazing parents. Happy birthday Emz Dad!!! :) Plus he's an Aggie, of course he's awesome...how could you leave that out.😜

jymmebe said...

Perfect, Em! Ditto and amen to everything! Yep, OUR dad is amazing! :)

CautiouslyAudacious said...

This is an awesome tribute! My dad's birthday is the 27th so I also share a birthday month with my dad!!!

Melissa Cunningham said...

oh! what a wonderful post! love it that you ca say all the things about your dad,but even better that you lived it and im sure the list is much longer in real life.
you and your father are both blessed for having eachother!!
happy b-day EMZ dad!!!!

ShutUpandRun said...

Beautiful tribute. This is make me think about what I want my kids to say about me! HBD Pops.

Jason said...

That is awesome. Love that you are not afraid to show your emotion like this.

Happy Birthday Day - Twinkle Toes!!!!!

Ricole said...

Awwww! Happy birthday to your dad! This makes me smile because I JUST did an ode to my dad post yesterday!

TriMOEngr said...

Having lost my day just 19 months ago, this brought me to tears. I love this for all the ways he is special to you. Hope he had a fabulous birthday. I hope I can be half the parent he was/is to you so that someday my kids can think things like this about me.

TriMOEngr said...

Tears must have blurred my typing - that would be "Having lost my DAD..."

Caratunk Girl said...

Dads are so special!! Fabulous tribute!

Ironman By Thirty said...

And here I thought you were amazing... your dad sounds even more amazing (if that is even possible). No offense of course! :)

Jill said...

Having lost my dad many, many years ago, I can't tell you how touching this is to read!

Loving the hair of you girls back then... :)

Emz said...

I knew what you meant. I was in tears reading your comment.
You. Rock.

Char said...

He sounds like a wonderful man. Do you think he'd adopt me? I wouldn't be any bother.

Karine said...

Original "good earth" shirt was from Hawaii. We have looked all over 2 islands looking for a replacement. No luck. Thanks for the "treasured" post Emz. We love you. Aloha.

Unknown said...

Aww! Happy birthday to your pops! What a cute man. He sounds like such a sweetheart.

Unknown said...

Aw... what a lucky guy to have a daughter like you! :) Hope he had a great birthday!

Rad Runner said...

I picked the perfect day to write a post, I then picked the perfect day to read your blog, a gosh damn heart tinggling post, an idea for my ads bday collage I am working on for his bday! Thanks dude!

Molly said...

how awesome is your Dad?????